* Exported from MasterCook II *
Vegetable Curry (Kari Sayur)
Recipe By : Indonesian Cookery - David Scott
& Surya Winata
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Ethnic - Indonesian Vegetables
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
450 Grams Brussel Sprouts or Cauliflower -- (1 pound)
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Medium Onion, Finely Diced
1 Clove Garlic, Crushed
3 Dried or Fresh Red or Green Chillis -- (1 tsp. chilli pwdr)
1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
5 Almonds, Chopped
450 Milliliters Canned Coconut Milk -- (1 16-ounce can)
1 Lemon, Juice of -- OPTIONAL
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and stir fry the onion, garlic, chillies (or chilli powder), coriander, cumin, ginger, turmeric, chopped nuts, salt and pepper over moderate heat. Cook until the onions are softened.
2) Add the coconut milk and stir well, bringing it to a gentle boil.
3) Add the vegetables, adding those that take longest to cook first.
4) Simmer, stirring regularly until all the vegetables are cooked but not soggy.
5) Stir in the lemon juice, adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : May be made with broccoli, peeled and diced potatoes, or
cubed, rinsed and drained aubergines, or whole young peas in the pod, or
green beans, or celery, or cabbage, or cauliflower, or green or red pepper
cut into strips, or chopped kale, or washed bean sprouts. I prefer
the dish without lemon for brussels and cauliflower.