* Exported from MasterCook II *
Stephanie's Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe By : Stephanie Ramsey (Internet)
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :3:00
Categories : Breads Ethnic - American
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 Cup Warm Water
2 Packages Active Dry Yeast
2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
1 Package Instant Vanilla Pudding
1/2 Cup Butter, Melted
2 Eggs, Beaten
1 Teaspoon Salt
8 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Butter, Melted
2 Cups Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
4 Teaspoons Cinnamon
225 Grams Cream Cheese, Softened -- (8 ounces)
1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tablespoon Milk (just enough to fluff)
1) In a small bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, make pudding mix according to package directions. (In Austria, use Bird's Custard Powder - 1 Tbs. powder, 1 Tbsp. sugar and about 16 ounces of milk. Cook according to directions on the can. Allow to cool to lukewarm and then pour into a large bowl.)
3) Add butter, eggs and salt and mix well. Add the yeast mixture and blend.
4) Gradually add the flour and knead until smooth, adding sprinkles of flour as needed to control stickiness. (It takes a long time to get the dough smooth - more than 10 minutes - probably because of the pudding.) Be careful not to add too much flour - use only enough to prevent sticking.
5) Place the dough in a very large greased bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double in bulk - about 1 hour.
6) Punch the dough down and let rise again.
7) Mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon and melt the 1 cup of butter.
7) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 34-inch by 21 inch rectangle. Spread the melted butter over the surface and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
8) Roll the dough up very tightly. Then use a knife to mark the roll approximately every 2 inches (there should be 20 rolls). Use a piece of string to cut the rolls (place the string under the roll and cross the ends of the string over the top and through the roll).
9) Place the rolls on a greased pan, 2 inches apart. Lightly press the rolls down with your hands. Cover the rolls and let them rise until doubled in size.
10) While the rolls are rising, make the frosting: Combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well. Add milk if necessary.
11) Bake the rolls at 180° C (350° F) for 15 to 20 minutes. Take them out when they JUST start to turn golden. DON'T OVERBAKE! Frost them immediately with the cream cheese frosting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -