* Exported from MasterCook II *
Squid and Potatoes, from Genoa
Recipe By : Marcella Hazan, The Second Classic
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
500 Grams Squid (weight after cleaning) -- (18 ounces)
500 Grams Potatoes (weight after peeling) -- (18 ounces)
5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic,Peeled and Chopped -- (large cloves)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Parsley,Chopped
6 Tablespoons White Wine,Dry
400 Grams Plum Tomatoes,Canned,with Juice -- (1 15-ounce can)
1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
Black Pepper,Freshly Ground
1) Slice the cleaned squid sacs into rings about 1 inch wide. Keep the tentacles whole, but divide them into two or three clusters if very large. Wash the squid in several changes of cold water after slicing them. Pat thoroughly dry with kitchen paper and reserve them on one side.
2) Put the oil, garlic and parsley into a pan and saute over medium heat until the garlic turns a rich golden brown.
3) Put in all the squid, turning them in the hot oil with a long-handled fork or wooden spoon.
4) When the squid turns a dull, flat white, add the wine and let it bubble away for a couple of minutes. Put in 2 or 3 large pinches of salt, the cut-up tomatoes with their juice and the oregano. Stir well, cover the pan, lower the heat and cook at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes.
5) While the squid is cooking, peel, measure and cut up the potatoes into pieces about 1 1/2 inches thick. When the 30 minutes is up, add the potatoes, another pinch of salt, a few grindings of pepper, mixing well with all the contents of the pan, and cover. Cook at slow heat until the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. Taste and check for salt and pepper and serve hot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -