* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : Janet Mendel Searl - Cooking
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
450 Grams Potatoes -- (1 pound)
1 Medium Onion
25 Milliliters Olive Oil -- (2 Tablespoons)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
1) Precook the potatoes by boiling peeled whole potatoes, or use leftover cooked potatoes. Cut the cooked potatoes into dice.
2) Heat the oil in the frying pan until very hot and cook the onions until soft. Remove the onions from the oil and mix them with the diced potatoes in a bowl. Save the oil in the frying pan.
3) Beat the eggs and salt until very well combined and stir the eggs into the potatoes, mixing well.
4) Reheat the oil in the frying pan. When hot, pour in the egg and potato mixture. Let it set on the bottom. Regulate the heat if necessary so it doesn't brown too fast. Use a fairly low setting (not the lowest, but lower than medium) so that it will cook for approximately 10-12 minutes per side.
5) Use the spatula to firm the edges of the tortilla all around its circumference. Shake the pan frequently to keep it loose on the bottom. Place a plate over the pan, drain off any excess oil, and turn the tortilla out onto the plate. Return the oil to the pan, adding a little more if necessary, and slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook it on the reverse side. When the tortilla is golden on both sides, slide it out onto a serving plate.
6) All sorts of other ingredients may be incorporated into the tortilla, either instead of or in addition to the potatoes. You can use leftover bits of meat, ham, sausage, seafood and vegetables. Try green beans, peas, mushrooms, spinach, prawns, chicken livers, sweet peppers, asparacus, cauliflower, etc. Use up to 1 1/2 cups.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -