* Exported from MasterCook II *
Sarah's Pork Chili
Recipe By : Sarah Frech
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Ethnic - Mexican Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Kilograms Pork Shoulder -- (4 pounds)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, Mashed
1 Tablespoon Red Chili Peppers
1 Tablespoon Ground Red Chili Pepper
1 Tablespoon Leaf Oregano
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cups Stock or Water
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cinnamon Stick
1) Trim the fat and gristle from the meat and cut the meat into 1/4 inch chunks. If you don't have any stock, you can put the trimmings into 4 cups of water with some salt, ground pepper and an onion and boil it while you continue with the preparations.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet and brown the meat on medium high heat. When the meat is browned, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon. Reserve the juice remaining in the pan by pouring it into a separate bowl.
3) Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet and saute the onion with the garlic until the onion is soft.
4) Return the meat to the pan, add the red chili peppers and powder, the oregano and the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
5) Add the pan juices and the stock and bring to a boil. If the sauce is too thick, add some water.
6) Add the salt and the cinnamon stick and cover. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
7) Serve with rice, beans, tortillas, sour cream and lime wedges. It's also nice with boiled or baked potatoes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -