* Exported from MasterCook II *
Roast Turkey with Apricot Glaze
Recipe By : Bon Apetit - Nov. '94, and M.
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :3:00
Categories : Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 1/3 Kilograms Turkey -- (7.3 pounds)
1/2 Cup Apricot Preserves
1/2 Cup Apricot Nectar (or orange juice)
1/2 Tablespoon Honey
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1) Mix up the butter, salt and black pepper. Peel the lemons. Get four or five meat skewers out. Put a rack in the bottom of a roasting pan.
2) Wash the turkey inside and out and dry it well with paper towels. Put the dried turkey on the rack.
3) Stick the lemons all over with a skewer so the juice will run out during the baking. Put one of the lemons in the neck cavity and the other two in the body.
4) Pull the skin gently up from the breast meat and rub a generous amount of butter over the breast meat under the skin. Wash the grease off your hands and skewer the bird closed. Then rub the bird all over with the remaining butter.
5) Turn the turkey breast down on the rack and roast for 45 minutes at 180° C (350° F) using hot air. During this time, make the apricot glaze.
6) Mix the apricot preserves with the apricot nectar and honey and boil gently until reduced to about half.
7) Turn the turkey over and bake for 10 minutes. Then baste it with the glaze every 10 minutes until the turkey is done. Turkey should be done with a total cooking time of 1 hour and 35 minutes (i.e. 50 minutes after turning the turkey over). Remove the turkey to a serving platter and keep it warm in the turned off oven.
8) Make the gravy: Use 3-4 Tbsp. flour to absorb the
pan juices and grease. Use giblet stock to make the gravy.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Boil the gravy at least 3 minutes to
get rid of any taste of flour.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -