* Exported from MasterCook II *
Roast Lamb with Apples (Uaineoil Rosta Le H'ulla)
Recipe By : 18th Century Tipperary Dish
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Kilograms Boned Loin or Shoulder of Lamb -- (4 1/2 pounds)
1 Lemon, Juice and Peel
450 Grams Cooking Applies, Peeled and Thinly Sliced -- (1 pound)
1 Tablespoon Sugar
3 Cloves, Whole
1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
2 Cups Dry Cider or Apple Juice
1) Rub the meat inside and out with the lemon juice and peel. Lay apple slices over the inner side of the meat. Sprinkle with sugar and cloves, roll up and secure well with string.
2) Rub all over with ginger, salt and pepper. Put into a baking pan and brush all over with melted butter.
3) Heat the cider or apple juice. Roast the lamb at 200° C (400° F) for 1/2 hour. Then lower the heat to 150° C (300° F) and cook 1 hour and 20 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 180° F). Baste the roast at least three times during baking with the heated cider.
4) Remove the roast from the roasting pan. Spoon
off excess fat from the pan. Stir about 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch into
the remaining pan juices and stir until the lumps go away. Put the
pan over medium low heat and stir in some stock. When about half
of the stock liquid has been added, transfer the gravy to a sauce pan and
add some additional stock. Allow the gravy to boil at least one minute
(to get rid of cornstarch flavour). If it's too thick, add some more
stock or water. Test for salt and pepper and add more if necessary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : If you want to roast potatoes and parsnips along with the
meat, peel them and parboil them (boil for 5 minutes). Rub them with
some corn oil and put into the roasting pan after the first 1/2 hour.
Carrots can also be roasted, but do not need to be parboiled, only peeled