* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : M. Russell (adapted from p.
85 of Mediterranean Cookery)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Ethnic - French
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Large Aubergines (about 900 grams)
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
1 Large Onion
1) Wash and dry the vegetables. Slice the aubergines into 1-inch-thick slices, slice the courgette into 1/8-inch-thich slices. Salt the aubergine and courgette slices and and place them in separate colanders for at least 30 minutes.
2) Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and chop them into 1-inch square pieces.
3) Roughly chop the onion.
4) Saute each type of vegetable separately, using at least 2 tablespoons of olive oil for each, and more for the courgette and aubergine.
5) Begin with the onion. Saute it until it is soft (5-7 minutes) and remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon.
6) Add more oil to the pan and saute the peppers all together. They take longer to become soft (at least 15 minutes). It's okay if they get a little brown in places. When they are soft, remove them with a slotted spoon to a bowl with the onions.
7) Add enough olive oil to the pan to give a depth of at least 1/4 inch. Heat the oil while you dry off the courgette slices. Saute the courgette slices until they are slightly browned on both sides (you have to turn them). Remove them to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain. They should be a little bit crispy.
8) Add more olive oil to the pan if necessary (aubergines need more than 2 tablespoons of oil). Let the oil get hot while you dry off the aubergine and chop the slices into cubes. When the oil is hot, add the aubergine cubes and saute them until they are soft. They will lose their cube shape and it's okay if they get a little bit browned all over. When they are done, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon to paper towels to absorb excess oil.
9) Pour any left-over oil out of the pan and wipe it with some kitchen paper. Put all of the vegetables back into the pan and mix them up gently.
Note: This dish can be prepared in advance and reheated just before serving.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Chicken Rosemary and unbuttered pasta.