* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : Marian Russell
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Ethnic - Indian Salads
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Onion,Very Finely Minced
2 Small Tomatoes (firm ones)
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
500 Milliliters Yogurt,Plain -- (2 cups)
1 Tablespoon Coriander Leaves, Chopped (Optional)
1) Peel the cucumber. Slice it into halves lengthwise. Remove the seeds by running the tip of a tablespoon down the center of each half. Slice each half into 1/4-inch thick strips, then chop the strips into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
2) Mince the onion VERY fine.
3) Combine the cucumber, onion and salt in a small bowl. When well mixed, dump the mixture into a plastic colander and put in the sink to drain for at least 10 minutes (longer won't hurt anything).
4) Slice the tomatoes into 1/2-inch square cubes. If the tomatoes are very juicy, set them in a plastic colander to drain.
5) Heat the cumin in a skillet carefully over medium heat until it begins to release its scent 30-60 seconds (be careful not to burn it).
6) Combine the cumin with the yogurt.
7) The cucumbers will have thrown off most of their liquid by virture of having been salted, but there will still be some residual liquid in them. Squeeze the cucumber pieces gently to remove any liquid and put them in a clean serving bowl. Discard the liquid from the cucumber.
8) Add the tomatoes and mix well.
9) Add the yogurt/cumin mixture and mix well.
10) Chop the coriander leaves and use as a garnish.
11) Serve at room temperature.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -