* Exported from MasterCook II *
Penne with Cauliflower, Garlic and Oil
Recipe By : Marcella Hazan, The Second Classic
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Head Cauliflower (about 680 grams)
8 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic (large), peeled and chopped fine
1 Can Anchovies (flat filets), chopped -- (30 grams)
1/4 Teaspoon Hot Red Pepper,Chopped
450 Grams Penne -- (1 pound)
2 Tablespoons Parsley,Chopped
Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese,Grated
1) Strip the cauliflower of all its leaves except for a few of the very tender inner ones. Rinse it in cold water and cut it in two.
2) Steam the cauliflower until tender but compact (about 15 to 25 minutes - test it with a fork to know when it is done). Drain it and set it aside.
3) Put the oil, garlic and chopped anchovies into a medium-sized skillet. Turn on the heat to medium and saute until the garlic becomes a golden brown colour. Stir from time to time with a wooden spoon, mashing the anchovies with it.
4) Put in the boiled cauliflower and break it up quickly with a fork, crumbling it into pieces no bigger than a peanut. Turn it thoroughly int he oil, mashing part of it to a pulp.
5) Add the hot pepper and a liberal amount of salt. Turn up the heat and cook for a few minutes more, stirring frequently. Then turn off the heat.
6) Bring 4 to 5 litres of liberally salted water to the boil and add the pasta. Stir with a wooden spoon until the water returns to the boil so that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook the pasta until it is al dente, drain it well and transfer it to a warm serving bowl.
7) Very briefly reheat the cauliflower and pour all the contents of the pan over the pasta. Toss thoroughly and add the chopped parsely, tossing again. Serve at once with grated Parmesan or Pecorino for those who want to top it with cheese.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -