* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : Mary Ann Young (Gummie)
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :4:00
Categories : Breads
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Cup Hot Water
1 1/2 Cups Cold Water
1 Package Dry Yeast
1 Tablespoon Salt
6 Cups Flour
1) Pour boiling water over oatmeal, sugar, butter and molasses in a very large bowl. Allow to stand for 15 minutes. Add enough of the cold water to cool the mixture to the point where the yeast may be added without killing it.
2) Add the yeast, mix well and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3) Add the remaining cold water and the salt and begin to add the flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition, until the dough is kneadable.
4) Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead for at least 10 minutes.
5) Grease a very large bowl and place the dough in the bowl, turning once to grease the top. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled (1-1/2 to 2 hours).
6) Punch down the dough. Divide it into 2 parts. With a rolling pin, roll each portion into a rectangle 9x18 inches. Starting with one of the 9 inch sides, fold the dough toward the center into thirds so that you have a 9x6 inch piece of dough. Then roll one of the 6 inch sides toward you like a jelly roll. Pinch the edge and sides into the dough and place in a greased loaf pan, pinched sides down.
7) Grease the top of each loaf and set in a warm place to rise until doubled. Bake at 180° C (350° F) for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 170° C (325° F) for 25 minutes.
8) When done, butter top of each loaf so crust will be tender and turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -