* Exported from MasterCook II *
Lemon Layer Cake
Recipe By : The Woman's Day Cookbook
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes & Bars
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, Fresh
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 Medium Lemons, Zest of
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
3 Large Eggs
1 Medium Lemon, Zest of
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
450 Grams Cream Cheese -- (16 ounces)
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1) Heat the oven to 180° C (350° F).
2) Lightly grease two 8-inch layer cake pans. Line the bottoms with waxed paper and lightly grease the paper. Dust the pans with a little flour and shake out any excess.
3) In a small bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.
4) In another small bowl, mix the lemon juice and vanilla.
5) In a food processor or blender, process the lemon peel and sugar until the peel is finely ground.
6) Transfer the sugar mixture to a large bowl, add the butter and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
7) Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
8) On low speed, beat in the flour alternately with the lemon juice, starting and ending with the flour.
9) Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 40 minutes or until the top springs back when gently pressed and a tooth pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
10) Set the pans on wire racks to cool for 20 minutes, then invert the cakes onto the racks and peel off the waxed paper.
11) In a food processor or blender, process the lemon peel with the sugar until the peel is finely ground.
12) In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon juice and sugar mixture with an electric mixer until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until firm but spreadable.
13) Using a long serrated knife, slice the two cakes in half horizontally to make 4 thin layers.
14) Frost the cake with the frosting using about 1/3 cup for between the layers and the rest for the top and sides.
15) Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -