* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : Betty Crocker
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :5:30
Categories : Breads Ethnic - French
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Package Active Dry Yeast
1 1/4 Cups Very Warm Water
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
3 Cups Flour,All-Purpose -- (3 to 3 1/2 cups)
1 Tablespoon Cornmeal
1 Egg White
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
1) Dissolve yeast in warm water in a very large bowl (at least 2 1/2 quarts).
2) Stir in sugar, salt and 2 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle (dough will be soft).
3) Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (at least 5 minutes).
4) Wash and grease the mixing bowl. Place dough in bowl and then turn over once so that both sides of dough are greased. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise at room temperature until slightly more than double (1 1/2 to 2 hours). Longer rising gives typical French bread texture.
5) Punch down dough. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
6) Grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle it with the cornmeal.
7) Divide dough into two equal portions. Roll each half into a rectangle 15x10 inches. Roll up tightly beginning on 15 inch side. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal well. Roll gently back and forth to taper ends.
8) Place both loaves lengthwise on cookie sheet. Make 1/4 inch deep slashes across loaves at 2 inch intervals or make 1 lengthwise slash on each loaf. Brush loaves with cold water. Let rise uncovered until slightly more than double (about 1 1/2 hours).
9) Heat oven to 190° C (375° F). Pour 1 cup of hot water into a rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Place pan on lowest oven rack.
10) Brush loaves with cold water. Bake 20 minutes.
11) Remove pan of water from oven. Mix egg white and 2 tablespoons of cold water and brush over loaves.
12) Bake until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped, (about 30 minutes longer).
Note: Very wonderful served warm with fish grilled in garlic,
oil and lemon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -