* Exported from MasterCook II *
Falafel (Chick Pea Burgers)
Recipe By : Mary Salloum - A Taste of Lebanon
Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :30:00
Categories : Ethnic - Middle Eastern
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
450 Grams Chick Peas (soaked 24 hours) -- (1 pound)
1 Medium Onion
1 Medium Potato, Peeled
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Teaspoon Coriander,Ground
1 Teaspoon Cumin,Ground
2 Teaspoons Salt (or to taste)
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne (or to taste)
1 Tablespoon Flour
Vegetable Oil for Frying
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Recipe Sesame Seed Sauce
1) Drain the chick peas. Quarter the onion and potato. Run all through the fine holes of a meat grinder along with the garlic two times.
2) Add coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and flour and mix well. Run this mixture through the grinder once more. Mix again. Cover and leave to rest for two to three hours.
3) Heat the oil for deep frying. While the oil is heating add the baking soda to the chick pea mixture. With dampened hands, form mixture into balls the size of a walnut, then flatten slightly into a pattie. Deep fry, making sure patties are cooked through and are golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
4) Serve with Pita bread by cutting the loaves in half and filling the pockets with 2 or 3 patties. Add sliced radishes, chopped parsley, diced tomatoes, pickles and hot peppers. Drizzle Sesame Seed Sauce over the contents.
4) Serve without the Pita bread by dipping them into the Sesame Seed Sauce.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -