* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : St. Michael Cookbook
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:10
Categories : Ethnic - Indian Main Dishes
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Kilograms Chicken,Roasting,Whole -- (4 pounds)
1000 Grams Yogurt,Plain,Whole Milk -- (4 1/4 cups)
1 Clove Garlic
2 Pieces Ginger,Fresh (1 tsp. ground)
2 Red Chilies,Dried
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric,Ground
1/2 Teaspoon Mixed Spice,Ground
2 Tablespoons Mint,Fresh (Do not substitute dried!) -- (Optional)
1 Tablespoon Cumin,Ground
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Sugar
Corriander Leaf,Fresh,Chopped -- For garnish
1) Remove the skin from the chicken, wash it thoroughly and dry it. Score the flesh with a very sharp knife and put it in a large mixing bowl.
2) Using a blender, blend half of the yogurt with all of the spices and herbs except the corriander.
3) Pour the marinade over the chicken and leave the chicken to marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Remember to spoon the marinade over the chicken occasionally.
4) Cook the chicken with the marinade in a pressure cooker
for 30-35 minutes, depending on its size.
Alternative cooking methods:
- Put the chicken in a chicken brick, cover with the marinade, place in a cold oven, turn the oven to hot (220° C (425° F)) and roast for 1 1/2 hours without opening the oven, or
- Put the chicken with the marinade in a covered casserole dish in a fairly hot oven (180° C (375° F)) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear when it is pierced with a skewer, basting occasionally with the marinade during the cooking time.
5) Transfer the chicken to a hot serving platter.
6) In a sauce boat or large pitcher, put the rest of the yogurt and gradually add the juices and bits of spices from the cooking vessel to the yogurt, stirring to avoid lumps.
7) Garnish the chicken with sprigs of corriander.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -