* Exported from MasterCook II *
Chocolate Flake Coconut Cake
Recipe By : Roberta Young's Recipe Box
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :2:30
Categories : Cakes & Bars
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Recipe Creamy Custard Filling (see below) -- Step 8
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour,Sifted
2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder,Double-Acting
1/2 Cup Shortening or Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
1 Cup Milk -- minus 2 Tbsp.!
1 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Pieces -- Chopped Fine
2 Egg Whites
1 Cup Flaked Coconut
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1/3 Cup Sugar -- Step 8
2 Tablespoons Flour -- Step 8
1/8 Teaspoon Salt -- Step 8
1 Egg -- Step 8
2/3 Cup Milk,Scalded -- Step 8
1/4 Teaspoon Almond Extract -- Step 8
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract -- Step 8
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream -- Step 8
1) Early in the day, make, cool, refrigerate custard filling.
2) Grease and flour two 8-inch layer cake pans. Sift flour with baking powder three times.
3) In a large bowl, at medium speed, mix shortening, salt and almond extract until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks and blend well.
4) With mixer at low speed, add flour mixture alternately with the milk, beating after each addition just until well blended. Then stir in chocolate.
5) Beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the batter. Turn batter into prepared pans; sprinkle each pan of batter with 1/2 cup coconut.
6) Bake for 35 minutes, at 180° C (350° F), until cakes spring back when lightly touched with finger. Cool 5 minutes in the pans, turn out onto racks to finish cooling.
7) On a cake plate, arrange layers with bottoms together and Creamy Custard Filling in between. Generously frost side of cake with whipped cream. Refrigerate until served.
8) CREAMY CUSTARD FILLING: In top of double boiler, mix sugar, flour, salt. Slightly beat eggs, gradually add scalded milk, then slowly stir into sugar mixture. Cook over boiling water for 8 minutes stirring constantly. Cool, stirring occasionally. Add almond and vanilla extracts. Fold in heavy cream, whipped. Refrigerate until needed.
- It's easier to chop the choc. chips if you chill them first.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : For three-layer cake, double all ingredients in custard
filling except use only one egg. Make one set, then a second set
of cake layers (fourth cake layer can be split, filled with some whipped
cream and eaten separately). Increase heavy cream for frosting to
1 1/2 cups.