* Exported from MasterCook II *
Cheese Souffle (Traditional)
Recipe By : The NYT 60-Minute Gourmet -
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Ethnic - French
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
110 Grams Gruyere Cheese
2 Cups Milk
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Teaspoons Butter
6 Large Eggs
4 Tablespoons Flour
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg, Freshly Grated
1 Pinch Cayenne
2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Water
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Finely Grated
1) Preheat the oven to 180° C (375° F).
2) Grate the Gruyere cheese or cut it into tiny cubes. There should be about 3/4 cup. Set aside.
3) Bring the milk just to the boil without boiling.
4) Use 2 teaspoons of butter to grease a 5-cup souffle dish. Set the dish aside.
5) Separate the egg yolks and whites. Put the whites into a mixing bowl.
6) Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, stirring with a wire whisk. When blended and smooth, add the hot milk, stirring rapidly with the whisk. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne and cook, stirring rapidly, about 5 minutes.
7) Blend the cornstarch and water and add it, stirring briskly.
8) Remove from the heat and add the yolks, stirring rapidly. Pour and scrape the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the grated Parmesan cheese. Stir to blend.
9) Beat the whites until stiff. Add half the whites to the sauce and fold them in with the whisk. Add the remaining whites and grated (or cubed) Gruyere cheese. Fold this in with a plastic or rubber spatula. Fold over and around, top to bottom, until the whites are incorporated.
10) Pour and scrape the mixture into the prepared bowl.
Place in the oven and bake 20 minutes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -