* Exported from MasterCook II *
Recipe By : Julie Sahni, Classic Indian
Cooking, page 368
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Ethnic - Indian Pasta & Rice
Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 Cups Basmati Rice
2 1/2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 Green Green Cardamoms,Whole
5 Whole Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
1 Stick Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Ginger,Freshly Grated
1) Wash the basmati rice in several changes of water and soak for 1/2 hour in 3 cups of cold water. Drain the rice, reserving the water, and set both aside.
2) Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pan and add all of the spices except the ginger. Fry the spices until they are slightly browned and puffed (about 2 minutes).
3) Add the rice and continue frying until the rice turns translucent and begins to brown (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly to prevent burning.
4) Add the reserved water, salt and ginger and stir well to keep the rice from settling until the rice comes to a boil.
5) Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until the surface of the rice is covered with several steamy holes.
6) Cover the pan tightly, reduce heat to the lowest point and, if possible, raise the pan about an inch away from the source of heat. Let the rice steam for 10 minutes. DO NOT STIR THE RICE DURING THIS PERIOD.
7) Turn off the heat and let the rice rest undistrubed, covered for 5 minutes. DO NOT STIR THE RICE DURING THIS PERIOD.
8) The rice remains warm for 20 minutes if left covered.
Before serving, uncover the rice and fluff it with a fork.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Good with Bhoona Prawn Curry.
NOTES : If making another dish that has ginger in it, leave out
the ginger to give a better contrast of flavours.